Thursday, November 13, 2008

moving in

So, I've been to the house a few times now, had a chance to run through where things go (not to mention where I'll have to repair the wall - oops).
The house is very nice and my excitement is building to move in. It's a whole new living space for me to get used to; to make it my own; a part of me.
I don't get attached to a lot of things, especially that easily, but making this house a part of me and vice versa is going to be different. What can I do to this house, where I feel like I've produced the feeling of a 'home,' beyond the walls and roof? In the Lockian sense I've just got to mix my labour with the house to make it mine. Sounds simple enough. Repair the wall, move some furniture, and the house becomes my property (well, some of it).
In the Althusserian sense, it gets tricky. I don't know if its possible for me to label this 'housey feeling' as a crystallized object yet. 'In the last instance,' I say to myself, 'is not possible to put a finger on.' Thankfully, Balibar is a smart person. These epistemological breaks, that is points in between the crystallization of objects are in themselves objects. This epistemological (house) break, this one heading towards 'the last instance' is in itself an object. My house, my 'home,' is going to be my object of personal ownership.
How strange that the crystallization, the last instance, is only possible in the eradication of the objectifying - as in me. That will probably not be the desired 'house' feeling I am looking for, lest I die young!

No comments: